Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Dreams of the past


It was in the middle of the crowded platform that I first laid my eyes on him. For the first time again, after 10 long years.

Nothing about him had changed. He still wore his hair messy. His T-shirt was still as colorful as the 20 yr old used to wear. His smile still went all the way to his eyes.

I was amazed at how much I could still remember of him, of us, like it was all just yesterday. My heart still skipped a beat, even today.

We had been lovers...still are. We never broke up. We just broke apart.

When the fun filled college romance days got over, we each went our ways to make a place for ourselves in this big world. But we were still in the same town, under the same roof, living as one, until he went abroad for a long term assignment.  Little did we know that the long term was going to be 10 long years. We never said goodbye.

I know what his favorite food is. I know what he looks like waking up in the morning. I love his husky morning voice. I know how he likes his tea - black, 1 spoon sugar with a pinch of ginger in it.I know he doesn't like his ironed shirts to be folded. I know he doesn't throw his socks around.
I know...

The sound of the approaching train woke me up from my reverie and I turned to look at him once more. To make sure that it was indeed him, my first and only love.

He had heard my heartbeat. For the first time in 10 years our eyes met, ever so gingerly. But the flick of recognition in his eyes lasted only a fraction of a second.

We waited till the platform cleared from the crowd of the train which had just arrived.

With bated breath, I waited for him to make the first move. He did.

He walked towards me... with his 3 year old son holding onto his arms and his beautiful wife by his side.

'It's a big surprise running into you here. How are you? It's been so long'

I knew there was no going back, even if it only meant turning the time machine 10 years behind.With this realization dawning on me, I had only one response to offer to his friendly reintroduction.

'Pardon me, but do I know you? Have we met before?'

And that is how we broke up..10 years after we broke apart.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How beautifully written Deepthi! It was like seeing a short film!